Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Insane in the membrane!

I hope you don't think I'm picking on Kotaku today. These are all older articles that I have, until now, been unable to write about. I'm just trying to catch up, honest!

In this article, Brian Crecente wrote about the upcoming Batman: Arkham Asylum game. A rather lengthy article, it contained quite a few errors. First, a simple typo:

Due out in August, the build I played was set to me in May to help me judge the game for an E3 Game Critics award.

Then, the dreaded run-on sentence, though in this case, only the period was omitted.

Every time you take out a bad guy a camp of bats appear and swirl around him for a second Initially it looks kind of neat, but the effect quickly loses its charm.

The English language is quite complex. Verb tenses tend to be among the most difficult part. Here, Crecente uses the simple past tense where a past participle is required:

These simple single-button attacks are all weaved together with a heavy reliance on timing and the ability to shift between targets by moving the thumbstick in different directions.

Again, dealing with verbs. In English, the use of the infinitive and the heper/modal verb 'like' requires the particle 'to.'

I'm not a huge fan of stealth, it's not my style and I don't like have it forced upon me.


And finally, we have one final small typo:

The game features voice work by Kevin Conroy, Arleen Sorkin, Tom Kane, and even Mark Hamil;l as The Joker.


Source: http://kotaku.com/5302101/batman-arkham-asylum-preview-a-thinkers-brawling-game

No comments:

Post a Comment