Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Fun with subtitles!

While this one is obviously intentional, I still find it hilarious. I came across this last week at work. We recently received a donation of Japanese DVDs for our library. While checking the discs to make sure they were ready to go onto the shelves, I found the following scene:

Apparently, whoever was working at the film company on the subtitles for this movie got a little miffed and screwed around with the movie. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the jibberish is actually English, with each word spelled completely backwards! Have a look, you'll see what I mean. If you don't want to take the time to decode it for yourself, I've transcribed it below...

The great thing about this video is that it's a full commercial release, that is, if you went to the store and bought this movie, you would have the same thing! How this ever made it through production like this, I'll never know.


Source: Elf Princess Rane. Dir. Heitaro Daichi, produced by Dangun Pictures, Released by KSS, Inc. 1995.

"Go out and buy all the animeworks titles you can!
Get all the urban vision, animeigo, and bandai titles while you're at it!
Hey Clark, I changed all your subtitles around, sorry about that.
Support anime!
You can make a difference.
Even though our Salamander was destroyed, I'm not worried!
Because I really just stole all my ideas from my interns, and fired them.
The next phase is to summon the Red Phoenix to protect konan.
Wait till you get a load of it!"
..............
"Yeah, listen!
To replace the Salamander we need to get the Blue Dragon!
When I speak backwards, everyone assumes I'm smart.
Our next ride will involve the Green Turtle of chinese mythology!
Ew'll* need the shinzaho from the Turtle King!
Lastly we'll construct the White Tiger Garden gambling and opium den!
Watch!
Learn!
Stay in school!"
..............
"What the hell did I just say?"

* This misspelling is in the original (backwards as "ll'we)

No comments:

Post a Comment