Thursday, March 26, 2009

Sometimes you learn something!

I was doing some research online today, looking into HDTVs, in the course of which I found what I thought was a typo: the term "judder." I supposed it was a misspelling of the English word "shudder," because from the context I realized they were similar - referring to a quick shaking motion. I imagined that perhaps a speech-to-text program had misinterpreted the similar-sounding initial consonants and placed a 'j' where I expected a 'sh.' A quick Google search, however proved me wrong. I found this was a fairly common term used in discussing HDTV sets, and was even defined in the Merriam-Webster dictionary, dating back to 1931. How odd that a word that has existed for so long has never infiltrated my vocabulary!

No comments:

Post a Comment